Friday, June 27, 2008

Mitra

I wrote this poem on 6th December 2002. My fifth semester at college had or was about to end. I had already formed a special bond with these guys and had learned various qualities from them. Looking back, I cant help myself but thank myself that I wrote this poem ;). Though it does not (and I myself never can) describe their qualities or my feelings about them in words, the poem does state one thing very clearly: These guys are my best friends and I am very lucky to have them around. So, here it is.

Searched for friends hither and thither,
Since life without them was boring and bitter.
Joining IIIT did I hardly realize,
That it would be a blessing in disguise.

But still devoid remained the space,
Far and everywhere, I ran my gaze.
Fool that I was, I did not recognize,
Since those friends were right in front of my eyes.

Behave like a child and like one he play,
This is the guy who is called Vijay.
Talk about his friends and Chennai, day and night,
Argues he, till one accepts that he is right.

One might wonder, what he is good about,
But surely I can add here without a doubt,
He has immense patience and a heart of gold,
I love his trademark actions and to others when he scold.

Pramod for me was initially a mystery,
A cool guy, was always on the lookout for a party.
But when assignment submission or exam time descend,
He fires you with questions and nervous he tend.

But he crack sharp and witty jokes, night and day,
In the immensely tense moments, it helps me keep at bay.
And hate I that he was and is still so lazy,
But that it rubbed off my shoulders, I am happy.

The next guy in line is dear Kishore,
No matter how much cricket is there, he always asks for more.
Think he melodrammatically sing the songs,
When will he stop, is what everybody longs.

Unimaginable theories he come up with, by different things he link,
Sometimes makes me wonder, 'How does this guy think?',
He maintains high spirits and cares for one and all,
I know he will be there, when for help I call.

Excited he gets about anything, good or bad,
Vamsi is the name of this young lad.
Claims he not to study and sleep all day,
Thorough that he is, he teases us all and merrily play.

Sticks to his views, no matter what one say,
Attitude though sometime wrong, would like to have someday.
Terrific is his confidence and his curiosity insatiable,
Always do wonder, "When would I have these available?".

Concious of security is Kumar, the guy next door,
Keeps checking to see, if locked are the windows and doors.
Asks me to wake him early, though sleep he late in night,
Wake he never, but ask he again, no matter how much I argue or fight.

Enjoy I when he makes pun,
Time spent with him is always fun.
While talking with him, even my humour ooze,
Worries me the thought, that such a friend I might lose.

There are others, write about whom and let pages fill,
But unfortunately, I am limited by my writing skill.
Bored you might have become, so last statement I make,
Hope this is a beautiful dream, from which I never awake.

No comments: